What you can do—raising awareness using what you have
- Reach caregivers through parents. Encourage parents to share relevant information and resources with caregivers.
- Display a bulletin board about family, friend and neighbor caregivers in a reception area.
- Provide articles about extended family care in your newsletter.
- Change the names of programs and activities, such as using “Adult-Child Swim Time” rather than “Parent-Child Swim Time,” or rename a class “Positive Discipline for Parents and Caregivers.”
- Acknowledge to the caregivers the value of their work in supporting young children’s development. Sometimes that alone can make a difference.